Thursday, May 05, 2011

the zilla

Ah....the creative process!!!  Sometimes it seems like I am on this crazy roller coaster that goes up and down and all around with ideas and energy and action!  Other times I feel like I am sitting on a very still lake, my normally vibrant gypsy boat and bright jewel colored sail waiting for that windy action.

I do quite love what Elizabeth Gilbert said about the creative process/muse in her lecture, that if you can just show up every day and say "I'm here, I'm ready" then at the very least you will have done your job. What happens after you show up, every day is so different but the act of showing up despite how you personally feel is enough sometimes to get going.

I think as an artist, its a common struggle to have the best ideas and intentions but sometimes struggle with execution.  I have a personal theory that is why a lot of gifted artists never achieve a level of viable commercial success, because the output required and quantity cannot always match the muse of creativity that will show up for the artist.

I have a drawing that I made a few months ago that I'm still trying to figure out how to best take images of to sell it, photography with art can be tricky.  The scan I made didn't really represent the colors as best as I had hoped so I'm struggling with how to best showcase this.  I have a new scanner, but something with the calibration and picking up color pencil work that is light isn't really giving me the quality I was hoping for.   In any case, I thought I would show off the pictures I have taken here, just to share.  This is an ACEO size, 2.5 inches x 3 inches on bristol board archival paper with prisma color pencils:

scanned in version, that I'm not so thrilled with:


=::::=><=::::=

with camera:


=::::=><=::::=


=::::=><=::::=

playing around with the image in a border, I don't think this is an ideal way to present the art, but it does show an accurate view of the actual size:



=::::=><=::::=


In other news, the Avant Garden Veggilution art auction went really well.  They had it a few weeks ago and I'm happy to say that my drawing "Nature's Friend" did sell at the event (yay!) but the sweet little Veggie Monster I made did not.  Though, to be fair, when I saw how they displayed it and the fact that it had no signage at all, nor an auction sheet for people to buy it, I knew it was probably going to come home to me.  I was surprised about that, but I think it took a huge effort to get this event into reality so I understand how it could happen.


Cheers!
HMB

¯\_(ツ)_/¯


2 comments:

Michelle Root said...

I love your drawing! You can still see how adorable and colorful it is, even though you're still playing around with the best "imaging" method to display it! I am an avid color lover--nice work!

Michelle Root, MISC Root

HappyMoonBelly said...

Thanks Michelle!!! ^_^